Saturday 14 September 2013

Entry #1: Sexist Advertising


Mic Mac Mall Ad Campaign: Sexiest or Not?




Honestly, I feel that these ad's are pretty insulting to women, as they are suggesting that women lack education and would rather spend their time shopping over learning. I'm not exactly sure why an agency would figure these would encourage woman to buy back to school clothing as the ad's may be quite offensive to certain women, and potentially discourage them from purchasing any items from the mall. I don't think the agency thought this ad campaign through enough, and they defiantly aren't going to draw their target audience in with these demeaning advertisements. If I were the owner of the Mic Mac Mall I would've felt a bit uneasy putting these advertisements up, and I most likely would've contacted the agency that designed them, and asked them to rephrase the ad's to make them less insulting towards women. I think that if these ads featured men as well, it would have potentially made it less sexist towards women because then they're not suggesting that only women prefer shopping over education. I feel that these ads are pretty poorly designed in general, it looks like not much effort went into the thinking process of designing them, and they just stuck a few cartoon women with clothing and added a crappy slogan to them. I think that the ads could of potentially been a lot better if the right agency had been designing them.

I don't think that these ads completely hurt the Mic Mac Mall, I mean, people are going to shop there anyways because they need certain things and if there's nowhere else nearby to get what they need, they're most likely going to end up shopping there anyway. If anything I think that these ads just caused a bit of controversy and attention towards the Mic Mac Mall, but I honestly don't think it is going to make them go bankrupt or anything like that. I think that the fact that they also went out and apologised for these ads really was a good way to get their customers to forgive them, and potentially bring back in the women, or men, who were insulted by these advertisements. The 5000$ cheque was also a nice gesture, to show that they truly care and are genuinely sorry for the mistake.

Overall, I do think these advertisements are a bit demeaning to women, but I don't think they would insult me to the point where I would refuse to continue shopping at the mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

romantica theme by Pink + Lola